A superfood is a particular kind of food known to be high in nutrients and low in saturated fats or artificial ingredients. Professionals in the field do not use the term, as many believe that the term is used as a marketing tool. Here’s a list of 10 easy “superfoods” that fit right into everyday meals.
1. Low fat or fat-free plain yogurt: High in protein, potassium, and calcium! Economical and easy to include in all sorts of meals.
2. Eggs: Nutritious, easy, filling, and economical. Eggs had to make the list. Eggs include choline, which is good for development and memory.
3. Nuts: Nuts contain heart-healthy fats and are high in fiber. If enjoyed in moderation, nuts are really good for you!
4. Kiwis: YUM! Kiwis are chalk full of antioxidants and one kiwi alone can meet your daily requirement for Vitamin C.
5. Quinoa: A really healthy whole grain. Make it tastier by adding marinated kale for an extra healthy salad.
6. Beans: Beans helps to lower cholesterol and are filled with fiber.
7. Salmon: High omega-3 acid content, which helps to protect your heart.
8. Broccoli: Available year round and a good source of vitamins A, C, and K.
9. Sweet potatoes: Better for you and tastier than a basic white potato. Loaded with Vitamin C and potassium. Substitute a baked potato for a baked sweet potato.
10. Berries: Summer is here so we should really take advantage of the fresh berries everywhere! Blueberries are the most beneficial—tons of antioxidants.
All in all, add these foods to your daily meals. But always be wary for things advertised as superfoods! Know your stuff and the benefits could be fantastic.
Photo courtesy Getty Images